I'm trying to create a name for a website I'm building, and I'm looking for a suffix that means the same as the prefix de(remove).

For instance, nightfall means the onset of night. The suffix that I'm looking would change that meaning to the period right after night has gone.


The resulting term does not have to be an actual word as I am only looking to name a website.

closed as off-topic by Edwin Ashworth, David, Dan Bron, Davo, MrHen Aug 29 '17 at 19:20

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave these specific reasons:

  • "Questions on choosing an ideal word or phrase must include information on how it will be used in order to be answered. For help writing a good word or phrase request, see: About single word requests" – David, Dan Bron, MrHen
  • "Please include the research you’ve done, or consider if your question suits our English Language Learners site better. Questions that can be answered using commonly-available references are off-topic." – Edwin Ashworth, Davo
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • Nightbird is the first non-open compound listed at the Free Dictionary, and a suitable word doesn't appear in the subsequent alphabetical list. – Edwin Ashworth Aug 24 '17 at 21:21
  • 1
    Naming sites etc is off-topic on ELU and will not help the vast majority of visitors. – Edwin Ashworth Aug 24 '17 at 21:43
  • 1
    I'll point out that 'nightfall' is a compound; 'fall' isn't a suffix. You don't add any evidence of research; there aren't too many suffixes, and learnthat.org gives a reasonable list. – Edwin Ashworth Aug 24 '17 at 21:50
  • 2
    Technically, "the period right after night has gone" would be sunrise/dawn. – vpn Aug 24 '17 at 21:51
  • 1
    @vpn. Quite so. Or daybreak. – WS2 Aug 24 '17 at 21:54

The suffix -end or -send is sometimes used in names to indicate the end of something. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any common English words that use that suffix.

See, for example, Wallsend or Bridgend.

  • Townsend is a street in San Francisco where the town used to end. – Roger Sinasohn Aug 24 '17 at 23:25
  • 1
    I can imagine a period novel using the term: "He will be here by night's end" (rather than "by daybreak" or "dawn") -- it's unusual and vaguely poetic. – Andrew Leach Aug 25 '17 at 9:17
  • It would be very helpful to know the purpose of the website. I really like Night's end, @Andrew. While the original poster wrote, "The resulting term does not have to be an actual word", Nightsend, Night'send and Night'sEnd are all dreadful. Night's End is the only variation I could see working as a website name. As you have noted, it does have a slightly poetic feel; that may not suit the website's purpose. I suspect it might confuse non-native English speakers. – NMI Aug 25 '17 at 11:40

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.