Each period has a start and an end. If we observe a period as a pair and from one pair either the start or the end is missing, how would we call something, that adds the missing part, making the period whole or complete. period completer or period finisher just doesn't sound right to me. Maybe period adder? In German, I would use the word Ergänzer.

  • With my limited German understand, does Ergänzer mean "whole maker"? I'm trying to ascertain whether you're looking for a word specific to timespans or any form of completion (e.g. the last person to join a party, the final piece to a puzzle, the last job for today, ...)
    – Flater
    Aug 24, 2017 at 15:06
  • Something like the ultimate or final member of the set, or unit of time?
    – Davo
    Aug 24, 2017 at 16:09

1 Answer 1


Do you mean period as "a span of time" or in the musical sense? Based on what you have said, the best word I can think of is "complement".

It can be:

  • something that fills up, completes, or makes perfect
  • one of two mutually completing parts : counterpart

See the full definition here:


  • @k-christine-scarpinatto in mean it as in span of time. But I think complement is a good term for the actual missing part, like the start could be a complement to the end. I am looking of a word, which add the complement for the original item. Aug 24, 2017 at 12:12
  • "Counterpart" could refer to either member of a pair. Is that any closer to what you need?
    – kcscarp
    Aug 24, 2017 at 14:11
  • @AlexBG: Complement does usually imply that there are two elements in total. That's not always literally the case, though. A third employee can be said to complement the earlier team of two employees, but that is in essence comparing the past state to the new state (= two things). Complement also implies a difference (in a way that the pieces nicely fit together, a healthy balance). From your description I would assume that if you have to make 250 breads, and you already have made 249 breads, that the 250th bread is also an "ergänzer"? That isn't a correct use for "complement", imo.
    – Flater
    Aug 24, 2017 at 15:09
  • Please note that I am looking for the term that describes the person or the thing that adds the last element, not the last element itself. So if we assume the laat element is complement, the it must be something like complementor or complement adder. Aug 24, 2017 at 19:17
  • Ok, I see what you are getting at. There is the word "capper", as in " the capper to the campaign rally was an appearance by the candidate himself" (merriam-webster.com/dictionary/capper).
    – kcscarp
    Aug 25, 2017 at 21:23

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.