What would be word used for items used as replacement (like when someone returned a product in a grocery store)?

An example would be,

For returned items:

Total Items Returned: 777

For those used as replacement:

Total Items ______: 12

I was thinking of using replaced, but that would mean "Items that are replaced", rather that "Items used as replacement"

The format is like that because it will be used in a program

  • Are you substituting item for item, or total value? Items exchanged or issued (as replacements) might work.
    – Davo
    Aug 24, 2017 at 11:47
  • @Davo It's item for an item Aug 24, 2017 at 11:52

1 Answer 1


In this case, it seems like substituted could be a good fit for the purpose.

From ODE:

1. A person or thing acting or serving in place of another.

  • I think "Total Items Substitued" is still ambiguous, in the same way the OP recognises that "Total Items Replaced" is. I would use "Total Substitute Items" or *Total Replacement Items" instead.
    – JonLarby
    Aug 24, 2017 at 12:05

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.