I wonder whether there is any specific word for the full circle clock rotation.

I mean when any of the clock hands rotates 360 degrees clockwise.

I am using the term "lap" now, but I am not sure if this is a right word to use in this case.

I would be grateful for any variants.

  • 3
    'Revolution' is the usual term. This would be found if you checked for synonyms of 'rotation' (eg at Thesaurus.com), but has the more precise sense too. CED, for instance, gives: << revolution noun (CIRCULAR MOVEMENT) ​ (a) [ S ] a circular movement: The revolution of the earth around the sun was proposed by Copernicus. ​ (b) [ C ] one complete circular movement of something, for example a wheel: Engine speed can be measured in revolutions per minute (abbreviation rpm). >> – Edwin Ashworth Aug 22 '17 at 7:24
  • "Revolution" is not bad but you could also say "full sweep": After a full sweep of the minute hand, etc. – aparente001 Aug 23 '17 at 3:46

Couldn't you just refer to the amount of time that has passed?

I can't think of a context in which I would say 'one revolution/lap of the minute hand" instead of just saying one hour.

I would do the same mutatis mutandis for any other hand on any other clock.

  • I am using this in a more technical context, so precise time is not so important. – solderingiron Aug 22 '17 at 7:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.