What does the word “repultrigue” mean? I can't find this word in dictionaries and I googled it, returning only two results about one same article. In A Startling Episode 705, 'Mad Men' Meets 'Three's Company' And 'The Walking Dead'

The word appears in the last of the second paragraph:

But in an unsettling Episode 705, (spoiler alert) the biggest moments didn’t need words: the actor's reactions told you everything you needed to know. The look on Don’s face when he realized that Megan and Amy were really serious about the ménage a trois? Is there an English word for his mixed emotions? Horrifuson? Repultrigue?

  • 1
    It's a made-up word, probably combining "repulse" and "intrigue".
    – 1006a
    Aug 19, 2017 at 7:02
  • 1
    @1006a Yes. The predecessor word in the review is "Horrifusion". They are known as "portmanteau" words - like e.g. brunch - a combination of breakfast and lunch; or Oxbridge, combination of Oxford and Cambridge.
    – WS2
    Aug 19, 2017 at 7:20

1 Answer 1


It's a portmanteau of "repulsion" and "intrigue". The author is awkwardly combining conflicting emotions for comic effect.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.