A person who wears a hijab is sometimes called a hijabi, a person who wears a niqab is sometimes called a niqabi. Is there an equivalent term for someone who wears a burqa? According to Wiktionary hijab, hijabi, and niqab are directly from Arabic, and burqa is indirectly derived from Arabic, which is why I suspect there is an equivalent term.

The word would be used like this:

All the newspapers had photos of the (word for burqa wearer), but none had photos of the person criticising her.

  • I would say "person". Or, if it was not considered being too presumptive, "woman". – Hot Licks Aug 17 '17 at 22:34
  • 4
    It seems that 'burqa wearer' is not uncommon. – Edwin Ashworth Aug 17 '17 at 22:39

There is some support for using "burqai" or "burkai", but it is extremely rare:

Islam in India and the Middle East (1955) says:

hero, Mokanna, known as Hakim Burqai or the physician with face veil,...

A History of Persia, Volume 2 (1915) says:

Its hero, Mokanna, known as Hakim Burkai, or " the Physician with the face-veil," was born at Karez, which is now a squalid village on the road between Meshed

Similarly The history of the Arabians, under the government of the Caliphs (1758) says:

a Mussulman, called Hakem, and sirnamed Burkai, from the Arabic word Burka, which signifies a Masque

and the same book earlier (1750) in French:

Musulman nommé Hakem, & surnomme Burkai , du mot Arabe Burka, qui signifie un masque.

| improve this answer | |
  • Those are all surnames for one person though – Unrelated Aug 24 '17 at 16:34
  • @Unrelated right, those 4 references (an several other references) are all talking about the surname origin of that specific person, who covered his face to hide severe injuries. – DavePhD Aug 24 '17 at 16:38
  • Which could be helpful, but to answer the original question we need examples of burqai being used generally and generically – Unrelated Aug 24 '17 at 16:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.