What is a term which refers to the areas in the back or rear, with the same scope as the word "frontal"? The satirical/humorous term backal exists, but is not really a word (or appropriate to use in writing).

  • 1
    Could you give some more context? If it was related to e.g. a car, I wouldn't use "dorsal" or "posterior". Maybe "rear (end)" but you used that term yourself in the question – Stefan Aug 17 '17 at 17:30
  • @Stefan: Would you use “frontal” for a car? I believe that the question’s title and its first sentence define its scope. – Scott Aug 22 '17 at 0:49
  • I guess suitvertices did like the dorsal - and that is correct for biological/anatomical use. I was thinking of the use: adjective: of, in, or at the front: a frontal view; frontal attack. The car example was probably not so good. – Stefan Aug 22 '17 at 15:29

The term that is used most often is dorsal. When used of a human being, or an upright animal, it refers to the back, or to that which pertains to the back. When used of a quadruped, it refers to the upper side, which usually corresponds to the back of an upright animal. While frontal is used of a human being or an upright animal, the corresponding term for quadrupeds is ventral. Dorsal and ventral are also used of inanimate objects that are oriented horizontally, such as submarines.

  • 4
    "ventral" is also used for humans, since as that link mentions, anatomically "frontal" refers to the forehead region (like the "frontal lobe" of the brain), or to a section that divides the body into front and back sections, rather than to the front side of the body as a whole. But perhaps more common than "dorsal" and "ventral" are "posterior" and "anterior" – herisson Aug 17 '17 at 17:09