This might involve some math knowledge.

I tried to express the name of such an array:

1, 3, 5, 7

which has this feature:

every two numbers close to each other have a difference of 2, which is a constant.

We call it Equal Difference Series, but I can't find any information on Google. So this might be the wrong name.

  • 1
    @BlaiseZydeco, that's what I am looking for. thanks. could you please post your answer then I will be able to upvote you?
    – cinqS
    Aug 15, 2017 at 10:06
  • 4
    This question belongs on another site in the Stack Exchange network: Mathematics. Aug 15, 2017 at 11:15
  • Hi, @EdwinAshworth, I read the tag mathematics definition in this site: This tag is for questions about the usage and meaning of mathematical terminology and the names for mathematical entities in English.. So clearly, I was asking in the right place, ;)
    – cinqS
    Aug 16, 2017 at 6:27
  • On Mathematics SE, the tag 'terminology' is affixed to 4389 'Questions on the usage and meaning of words in mathematics, the names for mathematical entities, and other such questions'. On ELU, there are fewer than 300 questions carrying the tag 'mathematics'. You start the question 'This might involve some math knowledge.' You set out an AP in the usual maths format. People who wish to enquire about a maths problem normally gravitate to Mathematics SE, so they're (far – look at the ratio 4400 : 300) less likely to look for an answer to 'What name is given to ... Aug 16, 2017 at 18:32
  • a sequence such as 1, 3, 5, 7?' here on ELU than over on Maths SE. So clearly, there is a better place to ask. Aug 16, 2017 at 18:32

2 Answers 2


The proper term for this is arithmetic progression.


how about "incremental progression" for a progressively increasing series?
since if you have something like this: 7, 5, 3, 1.
you then call it "decremental progression". and again, "constant incremental/decremantal progression" for implying the constant nature of the change.
there is also the term "incremantal/decremangal array", and again you could say "constant incremantal/decremantal array".
just something i remembered from the time spent doing some programming.

  • Hi, @Faradin, arithmatic progression is the right term for me. thanks anyway.
    – cinqS
    Aug 15, 2017 at 10:27
  • yeah. just googled it and apparently AP is the better choice.
    – Faradin
    Aug 15, 2017 at 21:16

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.