I am looking for a single word that means "digital graphics/artwork".

The most fitting word that I have been able to find is illustrate. As in

"Bill creates illustrations."

However, illustrate does not in any way imply that the work being done is digital. So currently I am at digital illustration. As in

"Bill creates digital illustrations."

Is there a single word that means 'digital illustration'?

  • digitalistrations? (hopefully a joke!)
    – JMP
    Commented Aug 14, 2017 at 10:02
  • Bill creates content? This may need to be set in some appropriate context, though.
    – Lawrence
    Commented Aug 14, 2017 at 10:48
  • Related at graphicdeisgn.se
    – Chris H
    Commented Aug 14, 2017 at 13:22
  • 1
    I've heard the word graphics used for digital illustrations (as opposed to physical). I do realise it's not unambiguous though. Anyway, most of your post is about the illustrations themselves, while the first sentence is about "to design ...". You may want to edit that.
    – Mr Lister
    Commented Aug 14, 2017 at 13:23
  • 1
    Before seeing JonMark's digitalistrations, I was about to suggest digistration. Having worked in traditional and digital publishing for about a generation, I promise you will not find an extant word. You will have to make one up. Commented Aug 15, 2017 at 23:17

4 Answers 4


Happy to be proved wrong, but I'm not sure there's a simpler form than digital illustrations, or even digital artwork. Some nouns are just too vague without qualifying adjectives. For instance:

"Bill is a painter."

Does Bill paint houses? Cars? Aircraft? Bridges? Or does he dab at a canvas with oils and brushes? Or watercolours?

  • If your answer is you're not sure there's an answer, I'm not sure this is an answer.
    – Mr Lister
    Commented Aug 16, 2017 at 6:28

Bill makes/does/creates CGI (computer-generated imagery).

This covers moving and still images, I'm not sure if there is a term that exists to distinguish between the two types.

  • I would have to agree with this one... From my experience, CGI does cover both moving (e.g. like what you create with Art Of Illusion) and still images (e.g. like what you find at sites like DigitalBlasphemy). The thing is; If you can create a digital moving graphic with some piece of software, you can also create a still-image graphic, as well.
    – B.Kaatz
    Commented Sep 16, 2017 at 1:16
  • But an illustration can exist in digital form without having been generated by a computer.
    – Hot Licks
    Commented Sep 16, 2017 at 1:38

If the graphics are 3D, the word I would go for is model.

  • "Bill creates models" doesn't sound very digital.
    – Mr Lister
    Commented Aug 14, 2017 at 13:17
  • It doesn't even necessarily mean graphical models.
    – Chris H
    Commented Aug 14, 2017 at 13:23
  • @ChrisH: Fun fact, "graphical model" doesn't even mean graphical model.
    – user1635
    Commented Aug 14, 2017 at 13:33
  • 1
    @Rahul good point, though in other fields it does. I think we've established that model is too broad.
    – Chris H
    Commented Aug 14, 2017 at 13:35

It can be: Bill is good at creating virtualizations or simply Bill creates virtualizations


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.