Is the North American phrase "to brown-bag it"--which means to take a packed lunch to work, school, etc.--used or at least readily understood in the UK and other English-speaking countries? How would you say this in the variety of English you speak?

  • 2
    Thanks a lot. I was wondering if there were other one-word verbs for it. – Louel Aug 14 '17 at 4:54
  • 2
    The standard expression in the UK is "packed lunched". – BillJ Aug 14 '17 at 5:39
  • 2
    In my experience 'brown-bag it' isn't used in the UK, people would probably understand it given enough context, or they could be familiar with it from exposure to US media. I know it from reading 'Peanuts' 40 years ago, so would have assumed it was now dated. – Spagirl Aug 14 '17 at 8:13
  • 2
    I (UK) would say 'take a packed lunch' or 'take sandwiches'. – Kate Bunting Aug 14 '17 at 8:14
  • 3
    @AndyT Whoops! Should be "packed lunch", of course. Apologies for the typo. – BillJ Aug 14 '17 at 10:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.