Is there an accepted name for words such as 'Huge' which means 'very big' and 'Tiny' which means 'very small'? Is there a good textbook with some exercises on learning this sort of vocab?

Edit: I am a teacher and am looking for exercises on this topic. But I don't know what to search for online, or what to look for in the appendix. I want to improve the student's vocabulary specifically for adjectives.

Edit: I am not looking to explain he linguistic phenomenon of why things are rarely 'very tiny'. I am looking for a name for the class of words which mean 'very _______'. Strong adjectives has been suggested and will be accepted as an answer if it is presented as an answer, and not a comment, and there is some indication that this is the accepted term and is widely-used by people other than the designer of those problem sheets.

closed as off-topic by anongoodnurse, Drew, Mari-Lou A, Edwin Ashworth, David Aug 14 '17 at 8:38

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • They are adjectives, just like big and small. There are many words that mean "big" or "small" to some extent or another. Big, huge, enormous, gigantic, massive, etc. It just comes down to enlarging your general vocabulary. As for resources I always recommend reading. Reading novels or newspapers is a great way to expand you vocabulary and to get used to the context in which words may have slightly different meanings. – oerkelens Aug 12 '17 at 15:09
  • Not general vocabulary -- vocabulary specifically related to stronger or weaker versions of common adjectives. What is the terminology for this? – Daron Aug 12 '17 at 15:53
  • @oerkelens: tiny means very small, while huge means very big. There are a number of pairs in English like that. For example, glacial means very slow, while breakneck and whirlwind mean very fast. I would assume that the OP is asking for a word for the kind of adjective these are. – Peter Shor Aug 12 '17 at 15:55
  • 3
    Possible duplicate of Why are things often "very tasty", but rarely "very delicious" – Mari-Lou A Aug 12 '17 at 18:24
  • 3
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it lacks signs of any research even when links are kindly provided. – Edwin Ashworth Aug 12 '17 at 21:47

They're called strong adjectives.

Base adjectives

Base adjectives are normal adjectives that don't have the idea of 'very'

Strong adjectives

Strong adjectives, however, are extreme adjectives that have the idea of 'very'


gorgeous = very beautiful

huge = very big

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.