I forgot the term, feels like it's at the tip of my tongue.

Imagine that I have a shop, with an expired product, took it off the inventory. Now what do you call that item?

  • 2
    You are pulling expired merchandise – Jim Aug 10 '17 at 2:19
  • deprecated might fit – JMP Aug 10 '17 at 4:55
  • You are writing off the item. The item is then a write-off. – RegDwigнt Aug 11 '17 at 14:44
  • One shop I work in culls anything that's been on the shelf too long. Doing that is culling and the items are then said to have been culled… in the same way herdsmen cull over-populous creatures – Robbie Goodwin Aug 11 '17 at 17:10
  • 1
    Jim's "pull" is certainly the jargon that U.S. grocers use for perishables. Those dates that are stamped on a carton of milk are called "pull dates". – Blaise Zydeco Aug 15 '17 at 11:25

Jan Ariel, what you are describing is referred to in retail as 'spoiling' an item or 'spoilage', that is, identifying inventory that for any reason cannot be sold. Products expire, products are damaged, products are returned that cannot be re-sold. It has a special meaning. According to "Accounting Tools", a site for accounting education:

Spoilage is waste or scrap arising from the production process. The term is most commonly applied to raw materials that have a short life span, such as food used in the hospitality industry. Normal spoilage is the standard amount of waste or scrap that is caused by production, and which is difficult to avoid.

'Spoiled' products need not be literally rotten. Excluding theft, it's the merchandise that a retailer pays for but doesn't sell.

| improve this answer | |
  • Will, that's an interesting idea that I've never heard, in a decade of retail working. My experience is limited to wasted or dated or culled and even then wasted isn't about expired products, dated happens automatically and culling is what staff do as a result of dating. – Robbie Goodwin Aug 24 '17 at 21:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.