Some phrases have three dots indicating an ellipsis at the end of a statement/sentence.

How can one refer to such a phrase/sentence?

I naturally want to refer to them as "ellipsed sentences," but that is clearly wrong as ellipsed refers to having a regular oval shape (i.e., the shape of an ellipse).

Does such a word exist?

  • 1
    I'd called them clipped or abridged. – Yosef Baskin Aug 9 '17 at 1:51
  • 1
    How about ellipticated? – Hot Licks Aug 9 '17 at 2:08
  • Also FYI: ellipse (n.) etymology: 1753, from French ellipse (17c.), from Latin ellipsis "ellipse," also, "a falling short, deficit," from Greek elleipsis (see ellipsis). So called because the conic section of the cutting plane makes a smaller angle with the base than does the side of the cone, hence, a "falling short." – theforestecologist Aug 9 '17 at 4:08


adjective, Also, elliptic

  1. pertaining to or marked by grammatical ellipsis.


  • huh, I just assumed these words only worked for their better known meaning (i.e., relating to an ellipse or shape of an ellipse). Seems like at least a few dictionaries mention their secondary use as a reference to ellipses like you mention..Thanks!! – theforestecologist Aug 9 '17 at 3:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.