My synapses are failing to fire, but I need help finding a word for an event/gathering where a topic or research is presented, usually to peers for general knowledge sharing and/or discussion.

We used to do them in college, for example about interesting ways to use analytical geometry in everyday life. I feel like the word was Latin in etymology, but that doesn't really narrow it down. I tried finding similar events on Google but no luck. Any ideas?

  • Simply presentation, or paper presentation? Feel free to write an answer with this, anyone. – NVZ Aug 7 '17 at 16:19

From Cambridge:


noun [ C ] UK ​ /sɪmˈpəʊ.zi.əm/ US ​ /sɪmˈpoʊ.zi.əm/ plural symposia symposiums formal

an occasion at which people who have great knowledge of a particular subject meet in order to discuss a matter of interest:

a symposium on European cinema



noun [ C ] UK ​ /kəˈləʊkwiəm/ US ​ formal MEETINGS

a meeting in which a lot of people discuss something formally:

colloquium on sth
She attended a colloquium on climate change in Greenland.

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    you're the best! I had assumed symposium was just for music, good to know! We had called it a colloquium! Thank you so much! :) – Michael Aug 7 '17 at 16:31

I agree with Davo's symposium, but if you'd like more options:


a meeting or formal assembly, as of representatives or delegates, for discussion of and action on particular matters of common concern


a formal meeting that typically takes place over a number of days and involves people with a shared interest, especially one held regularly by an association or organization


a conference or other meeting for discussion or training


a meeting at which a group of people engage in intensive discussion and activity on a particular subject or project

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.