What is a word for someone who appreciates vintage items because of the history behind them? For example: someone who enjoys listening to records and wonders who in a past life listened to it, what they were doing when listening to it, etc.

  • 'Sentimentalist' is a hypernym but may be of use. Aug 4 '17 at 22:36
  • 1
    @jasperloy regarding your edit - inversions in embedded questions such as "wonder [...] what were they doing" are a very common dialectal occurrence.
    – Phil Sweet
    Aug 5 '17 at 1:53
  • Are you looking for retrophile? Aug 5 '17 at 14:54
  • 2
    Or maybe "antiquarian"? Aug 5 '17 at 22:23
  • @BlaiseZydeco You should add 'antiquarian' as the answer Aug 31 '17 at 16:33

A word that works for the questioner's purpose is antiquarian. The Webster's definition is just the bare-bones "somebody who studies antiquities", but the Wikipedia entry goes a little farther and says "aficionado or student of antiquities or things of the past."

The first paragraph of this article on antiquarianism by urban historian Roey Sweet is also of some interest here.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.