What is it called when someone isn't okay with a situation but learns to just deal with it? Is there even a word for that?

  • 3
    Tolerate might fit. See Oxford definition 1.1 – Andrew Leach Jul 29 '17 at 11:48
  • Related thread...[How do you say you accept something wrong being done] english.stackexchange.com/questions/368016/… – thomj1332 Jul 29 '17 at 12:29
  • I think you need to include more details. Otherwise, it could be lots of things—compromising, settling, being a grown-up, giving up, etc. What terms have you considered, and why don't they work? Why doesn't "dealing with it" work for you? At a minimum, you should include a sample sentence showing how you would use the word, with a ___ or other placeholder where the word would go. That will help make your meaning clearer, and is also technically required for single-word-requests. – 1006a Jul 29 '17 at 15:39

The person learns how to cope with the situation.

cope, from Collins English Dictionary: '

  1. intransitive verb If you cope with a problem or task, you deal with it successfully.

It was amazing how my mother coped with bringing up three children on less than

thirty dollars a week.

  1. intransitive verb If you have to cope with an unpleasant situation, you have to accept it or bear it.

Never before has the industry had to cope with war and recession at the same time

| improve this answer | |

Acquiesce - verb

To accept something reluctantly but without protest. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/acquiesce

| improve this answer | |
  • Where did you get that definition from? If you edit a link into your answer, it helps us confirm it. – marcellothearcane Jul 29 '17 at 14:11
  • It's a word I learned years ago. Merriam-Webster gives a similar definition: merriam-webster.com/dictionary/acquiesce – oddgirlout Jul 29 '17 at 14:17
  • If you look at the other answer, by a high-rep user, you'll see they give a link to the dictionary in the answer. You can edit your post to add your Merriam-Webster link in... – marcellothearcane Jul 29 '17 at 14:20
  • 1
    Happy to do so. – oddgirlout Jul 29 '17 at 14:21

It is called contending (with that situation).


contend VERB

1 (contend for) [no object] Struggle to surmount (a difficulty or danger)
‘she had to contend with his uncertain temper’

‘Not only are they contending with the sudden drop in temperatures, one was shot with an arrow and one lost its home.’

| improve this answer | |

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.