Is there a single word for copy paste errors? Just like "typo"

closed as off-topic by choster, RaceYouAnytime, NVZ, Spagirl, Skooba Jul 29 '17 at 15:54

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions on choosing an ideal word or phrase must include information on how it will be used in order to be answered. For help writing a good word or phrase request, see: About single word requests" – choster, RaceYouAnytime, NVZ, Spagirl, Skooba
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 4
    Why have you limited yourself to a single word? Where will you use it? – Yosef Baskin Jul 27 '17 at 18:52
  • Other than a flub or gaffe? Not really. Transposition? Transposing? But I would just call it a typo, flub, gaffe, jumble/jumbling. – Kace36 Jul 27 '17 at 21:53
  • Can you include a sample sentence, showing the context for how the word would be used? This will give people a better sense of what you're looking for. It's also technically required for single-word-requests, and without one there's a danger that your question might be closed. – 1006a Jul 28 '17 at 14:19

If you can stomach two words, I think a good wording is a replication error.

Otherwise, an uncommon word (used in scientific settings) is misreplication.

  • Even in a scientific setting I think misreplication is rarer than replication error, but it is used — see ngram so if the OP really wants a single word, you gave him one. – David Jul 27 '17 at 22:21

Well there is a slang expression I recently encountered for an instance of copying and pasting:


For which Wiktionary gives both that and a second meaning:

copypasta (countable and uncountable, plural copypastas)

  1. (Internet, slang) A block of text which has been copied and pasted from somewhere else.

  2. (Internet, slang) An error in a software application caused by the copy-and-paste of erroneous code.

If you wait long enough (or care to start a trend), the meanings will probably fuse to give you what you want.

Remember, you read it here first.

  • copypasta really does refer to newbs copying code that they don't understand into their programs and causing havoc as a result. – MikeJRamsey56 Jul 27 '17 at 20:48
  • @MikeJRamsey56 — Yes, that would be Wiktionary's second definition. However I think the poster was referring to doing the same with a text document. I'm pretty sure that if the term spreads outside of IT it will be used in the same way. – David Jul 27 '17 at 20:59
  • There was a long discussion and essay I did on copypasta recently. I don't think this is what the OP was asking. And @David just an FYI it has spread outside IT. I'm a 30 years veteran of computer science myself. I recently did an essay here on ESS for the origin of copypasta. It's not the same meaning the OP was asking about. No offense intended at all. Just being informative. – Kace36 Jul 27 '17 at 21:56
  • For a thorough discussion on what "copypasta" means, take a look at Josh's question. – RaceYouAnytime Jul 27 '17 at 21:56
  • @Kace36 and RaceYouAnytime — thanks guys. I am on the periphery of IT and hadn't met the term, and think I actually met it on this list in a discussion of answers with dictionary definitions (copypastas) and not much else. And I admit I was trying to be clever, so I deserve to be taken down a peg. – David Jul 27 '17 at 22:13

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.