Is there an English term that describes the whistle you'd make with two fingers/one finger and thumb in your mouth? Maybe those variations have separate names. Googling got me wolf whistle but that looks like it's specifically about a two-note thing and not so as much about the putting hands in mouth format. Also there is a kind of expressing lasciviousness vibe which is not what I'm after.

  • wikihow.com/Whistle-With-Your-Fingers doesn't look like there's a single word.
    – Mari-Lou A
    Jul 23, 2017 at 19:27
  • @Mari-LouA I'm not looking for a single word necessarily, just a canonical way to express it.
    – 1252748
    Jul 23, 2017 at 19:34
  • 1
    About all I've ever heard is "two-finger whistle".
    – Hot Licks
    Jul 23, 2017 at 19:36
  • 1
    @Mari-LouA Hmmm. Not as catchy as I'd have imagined but for sure descriptive. I'll accept that if you'd want to post it as an answer.
    – 1252748
    Jul 23, 2017 at 19:43
  • I've heard it called "cattle-whistle", but that could just be because I'm from Texas.
    – Boom
    Jul 23, 2017 at 20:38

1 Answer 1


I have also looked this up and like others have said I've only found "finger whistling" according to Wikipedia or simply "whistling with your fingers." Link


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.