Is there a word for that?

Example sentence:

He didn't want to take a selfie. He wanted a _.

  • 3
    The "two-person" refers to the person who is taking the photo with a friend, or a photo of two people. It's a good to clarify this ambiguous point. – Mari-Lou A Jul 20 '17 at 4:20
  • 1
    If you look at how often "a selfie with" is used, I don't think you'll find a suitable word. You might get one with the meaning, but it wouldn't fit the same register. – Chris H Jul 20 '17 at 6:34
  • Are you looking for a retronym for what we used to just call photo(graph)s? That is, do you want a term for a photo where the subject and photographer are different people, rather than one where the subject pointed the camera at him- or herself? – 1006a Jul 20 '17 at 6:59
  • 1
    Have a look at the Group Selfies section of the selfie wikipedia article. – Lawrence Jul 20 '17 at 9:18

In film theory, such framing is called a two-shot. I believe the same term is used in photography. I don't know of a less formal term.

Urban dictionary suggests "usie"/"ussie" or "groupie". "Friendsie" seems like it would fit, but these all sound stupid to me. You could probably just make something up.

  • 1
    Ussie could work. Groupie is a bit unfortunate, since it’s something else (ironically a single person). Friendsie just sounds like a one-piece jumpsuit for multiple people. – Janus Bahs Jacquet Jul 20 '17 at 9:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.