What is an adjective for a community (often a minority) which deliberately distances itself from other communities (the majority), potentially for reasons such as discrimination, ostracisation?

You may say:

Due to increasing tensions, this ethnic community has become more ____.

I am specifically looking for a word which conveys hostility towards other communities (violence, etc)

  • 4
    isolationist collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/isolationist : this implies a deliberate policy of isolating oneself from others. If it's more accidental then you could simply say "isolated". Jul 19, 2017 at 9:11
  • Sorry @MaxWilliams I've updated my question - looking for something which displays hostility Jul 19, 2017 at 9:12
  • Isolationist is hostile - think USA in the '30s Jul 19, 2017 at 9:14
  • 1
    Are these compatible ideas? Can I be aggressively hostile if I'm deliberately isolating myself? If I'm only hostile in a reactionary way, I'm just being defensive, no? Either way, can I be violent if I'm isolated?
    – Mathieu K.
    Jul 19, 2017 at 16:55

3 Answers 3


Consider insular, which the Cambridge English Dictionary defines (for both American and British usage) as follows:

... interested only in your own country or group and not willing to accept different or foreign ideas


Another word for isolationist might be autarkic, although I am not sure all dictionaries would recognise the word as an adjective.


Perhaps the word estranged or self-estranged could work.


no longer friendly; alienated


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.