I'm writing something where on character looks at another character like they're stupid. Is there an adverb or something for that? For example: When the grown man asked his friends where babies come from they looked at him 'like he was stupid'. is there a word I can use to replace that?

  • Welcome to English Language and Usage. This is pretty open to interpretation, and may include a variety of facial expressions or emotional reactions. Different cultures, and even different generations have ways of expressing disbelief. Commented Jul 17, 2017 at 19:26
  • I think Cascabel is correct, but all that is needed is an edit to your question to specify the culture, generation and attitude of the person.
    – thomj1332
    Commented Jul 17, 2017 at 20:03
  • "... like he was Donald Trump."
    – Hot Licks
    Commented Jul 17, 2017 at 21:28

3 Answers 3


..they looked at him incredulously.

Excerpted from MW:


unwilling to admit or accept what is offered as true : not credulous : skeptical

  • incredulously adverb

They could be looking at their friend scornfully:

scorn: an expression of contempt or derision (Merriam-Webster)

They could be looking disdainfully or contemptuously. Disdain is to think unworthy of notice, response, etc.; consider beneath oneself (Dictionary.com), and there's this definition of contempt from Merriam-Webster: a feeling that someone or something is not worthy of any respect or approval (Merriam-Webster).

Edited to add a link for that last definition, and to add:

Flabbergasted! I love that word. They could be flabbergasted: to overcome with surprise of bewilderment;astound. (Dictionary.com)


Two suggestions:


Disdain: the feeling of not liking someone or something and thinking that they do not deserve your interest or respect.


Condescending: treating someone as if you are more important or more intelligent than them

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.