What is the adjective used for an employee (of a large company or agency) who is leaving a company? Not retiring... I am looking for the adjective that would apply to an employee as does "rising" senior applies to a student.

Is it "exiting" president/chair/CEO? Thanks for your help.

  • What's wrong with "leaving"? He is leaving his position as ____ . Going on to other things.
    – Xanne
    Commented Jul 13, 2017 at 6:28

2 Answers 2


If you are looking to distinguish the person who currently has the job from his (imminent) successor, I would recommend outgoing.

"The outgoing CEO recommended Sarah to be his replacement."

Be warned, outgoing means "retiring or withdrawing from a place or position", but it also means "openly friendly and responsive: extroverted", which is very different.

"The outgoing CEO slapped every visitor on the back."


I would suggest departing. Oxford Dictionaries has this definition (Note especially #1.2)




  1. Leave, especially in order to start a journey.
    ‘they departed for Germany’
    ‘a contingent was departing from Cairo’

    1.1 depart from Deviate from (an accepted, prescribed, or usual course of action)
    ‘he departed from the precedent set by many’

    1.2 North American with object Leave (one's job)
    ‘he will soon depart his post as high commissioner to Britain’

If you wanted an informal term for such a person, you could call them a short-timer.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.