In China, the teacher in charge of a class is called "Bang zhu ren", who not just teach, but also take care of students' life beyond study. So in English, what's the expression?

  • In the UK when I was teaching, 'form tutor' was the term I was familiar with. Commented Jul 7, 2017 at 10:51
  • You need to give more details; does students' life beyond study include social aspects (welfare / leisure) or solely extra-curricular academic issues (such as appropriate courses, necessary qualifications)? Commented Jul 7, 2017 at 11:24
  • Your question is unclear. "Class" can mean the group of students in a single classroom for a single teaching session, or it can mean the body of students in the same year in the school.
    – Hot Licks
    Commented Jul 7, 2017 at 11:53

2 Answers 2


Mentors and faculty advisors are the terms used. Both of them can be in charge of a class or a group of students.

Faculty advisors are teachers whom you can approach in case of any difficulty like academic registration, help with choosing subjects and for obtaining permissions. You can find more information about their duties here.

A mentor maintains a more personal relationship. S/he is supposed to bond closely by going out on short trip and host dinners. Mentors act as a guide to choose your area of interest in your specialization, counsel you when needed and literally be your "on-campus parent".

  • 1
    Hello, Himabindu. This may be true and a good answer, but unless accompanied by supporting references where appropriate, an answer is not considered a good one on ELU. Commented Jul 7, 2017 at 10:52
  • 1
    @EdwinAshworth If you have downvoted the answer, I would like to know what I should do to improve it. I have already added references.
    – BlackSwan
    Commented Jul 7, 2017 at 11:13
  • Your linked definitions of 'faculty adviser' and 'mentor' do not really license the pastoral ('life beyond study) component OP requires. You should add the supporting definitions to your answer rather than just link; this is spelled out at the Help Center. And voting is a private matter (though I usually explain why I have downvoted where I have downvoted, which some appreciate): I haven't downvoted here FYO. Commented Jul 7, 2017 at 11:19
  • 2
    @EdwinAshworth There is no site which expounds the role of a mentor as much as my answer does. The sites only give a meaning that is synonymous to an advisor. I'm a university student with a mentor, I have first-hand experience of being a mentee. I have used my experience here and it is not opinion-based. Some of the answers needn't be referenced every time as long we are cognizant of what we answer.
    – BlackSwan
    Commented Jul 7, 2017 at 11:19
  • @EdwinAshworth I will keep in mind about the links. Thank you.
    – BlackSwan
    Commented Jul 7, 2017 at 11:21

class teacher (Macmillan)

a teacher who teaches or is responsible for a particular group of students in a school

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.