I am looking for a proper name to address a group of people who is not proficient in coding a website (HTML/CSS/JS). A suitable call so not to offend anyone.

Example quotes (that I don't yet feel is correct):

"Useful codes for regular bloggers."

"Copy-paste solution for unskilled bloggers."

"Code snippets for non-technical developers."


A blogger is technically a website publisher too. Despite his coding skill / knowledge, one might prefer not to code and use available publishing tool as is.

After receiving some good suggestion on the topic, I think I should broaden the term
"non-developer" to something like bloggers who prefer not to code.

Do we have a suitable short name for that in English?

  • 1
    'content focused' or "content minded' might work. Sometimes when emphasizing a strength you suggest a lack of well rounded skills. For example, calling a baseball player a "great defensive player" tends to suggest that their skills at offense are at best average....and would probably even lead a person calling them "a defensive player" to even qualify that they aren't too bad at offense for risk of that being assumed.
    – Tom22
    Commented Jul 6, 2017 at 21:39
  • 4
    What about... "bloggers"? As opposed to "developer bloggers".
    – xDaizu
    Commented Jul 7, 2017 at 7:17
  • 3
    I don't associate blogging with anything technical. Would all technical skills in the world make you a good blogger? Or would having something interesting to tell make you a good blogger? I mean, you don't get called a newbie driver if you can't fix your own car.
    – Pieter B
    Commented Jul 7, 2017 at 7:42
  • 2
    Blogger is not a term that's connected to developers - so it should be perfectly fine to call a person blogging a blogger regardless of whether he's proficient in coding.. Commented Jul 7, 2017 at 7:57
  • 1
    Who said the term "blogger" denotes "developer / coder"?
    – Mustafa
    Commented Jul 7, 2017 at 21:38

4 Answers 4


The option that comes to mind, focusing on what they actually do, is content creators. This is a pretty common term these days.

Here are a few examples:

The 5 Habits of Highly Successful Content Creators
What Type Of Content Creator Are You? A Visual Guide To Your Copywriting Identity
The Unstoppable Rise of the Digital Content Creator

Another option would be blog authors -- that's what I was called back when I did that for a living.


Focus on labelling your content rather than who may be viewing it. Idioms such as “101” or “best practise” may be appropriate.

  • Well mentioned. Target audience would be proficient enough at coding but choose to use ready made codes (less work)
    – Nik
    Commented Jul 6, 2017 at 22:04

My suggestion:

non-developer bloggers


non-coding bloggers


"WYSIWYG" bloggers

WYSIWYG is an acronym that means "what you see is what is what you get" and is a common term for modern "make your own website" and various other editors.


Civilians. :-)

Newbie comes to mind.

An inexperienced newcomer to a particular activity. ODO.

"Copy-paste solution for newbie bloggers."

"Code snippets for newbie developers."

  • Try googling "newbie blogger". Commented Jul 6, 2017 at 22:03
  • Not being able to code doesn't have anything to do with being a new blogger. This is just insulting to seasoned bloggers. Commented Jul 7, 2017 at 22:14
  • @curiousdannii Read Nik's question, especially the 3rd sentence. I was just answering what was asked. :-) Please don't read more into the answer than what was stated. Commented Jul 10, 2017 at 20:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.