The room in question is carpeted, has bare wooden shelves, and is located within a suite on the second floor of an office complex. It is referred to as a 'shed'. If it were outside as a roofed, stand-alone structure, it would definitely qualify as a shed but in this instance it doesn't seem accurate.

What are some alternative terms for a walk-in closet/room that stores supplies (including scientific instruments, batteries, yard tools,storage containers, etc.,)?

  • Does the door open to the outside or the inside of the building? Or to the interior of the suite or to a common hallway? – Jim Jul 6 '17 at 20:11
  • @Jim it opens to the inside of a lounge/kitchen room in an office suite on the second floor of a building. – Don P Jul 6 '17 at 20:12
  • 1
    That sounds like a pantry or as David says, a storeroom. – Jim Jul 6 '17 at 20:42

How about storeroom?

A room in which items are stored.

Or repository:

A place where or receptacle in which things are or may be stored.


I would add stockroom

A room in which quantities of goods are stored. ODO

  • 2
    I think of a stockroom as being in a store and holding the stock/merchandise not on display in the storefront. – Jim Jul 6 '17 at 23:05
  • @Jim The contents listed could be stock for a business. – MikeJRamsey56 Jul 6 '17 at 23:25
  • 1
    the list of items sure sounds more like tools and supplies routinely used by the business itself rather than for sale – Tom22 Jul 7 '17 at 3:18
  • @Tom22 they are tools used out in the field and supplies used in the office by the company itself – Don P Jul 7 '17 at 6:55

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.