I am working on Levenshtein distance and I try to explain the concept. Is there a word that means that 2 words are "close graphically speaking".

I found homophone, or homogragh, but these words are not the one I am looking for.

edit : homophone can be used with relatively "long distance" words : 'close' and 'clothes' (are up to three character away). However 'take' and 'make' are 1 character away but not homophones.

edit : homograph is used for exact (visually) same word with different meaning

  • in two words you can use edit distance - it's more of a mathematical concept than a linguistic one
    – JMP
    Jul 4, 2017 at 6:42
  • What do you mean by "close graphically speaking"? Why doesn't homograph fit?
    – user66974
    Jul 4, 2017 at 6:52
  • Could you just stick with Levenshtein distance? Near rhymes? Of course, cognates are close to the ear, not identical to the eye. Jul 4, 2017 at 15:05

1 Answer 1


From Oxford: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/paronomasia

In general, paronomasia other that homographic and homophonic includes the juxtaposition of words with small graphical differences. So you can say the two words are paranomasial

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.