I'm trying to find a word which means that someone is curious about something. For example, technology inquisitor. Except that inquisitor means that someone is trying to find something in a harsh way and I just want it to mean that they are interested in this.

  • A 'Scholar', for example? Commented Jul 1, 2017 at 14:41
  • Do you mean they are actually asking about something, or merely interested in a general way? I've added the single-word-request tag: please review the checklist for this type of question. We need as much information as you can possibly give.
    – Andrew Leach
    Commented Jul 1, 2017 at 14:58
  • 1
    "researcher" ? A researcher makes a deliberate effort to dig into a subject.
    – Tom22
    Commented Jul 1, 2017 at 17:50

2 Answers 2


Enthusiast seems like an appropriate word choice.

Enthusiast (noun): a person who is very interested in and involved with a particular subject or activity.
He is an engineering enthusiast.

Some synonyms that may also work:

  • Fanatic (In my opinion this is too dramatic, but can definitely be used to describe someone's interest in a certain subject).
  • Aficionado (Ooh. Fancy word!)
  • 1
    These imply a hobbyist meaning - the original only specifies 'someone is curious about something', like someone who wants to know everything or is even a bit nosey. Commented Jul 1, 2017 at 15:15

You seem to be working from the adjective "inquisitive". While "inquisitor" may be considered the noun form, it has taken on the harsh implications which you describe.

A more neutral term might be "investigator".

Or, since inquisitive derives from inquire, "inquirer".

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.