So in a casual conversation with other Canadian writers, I asked the question because I was told by my parents that there was a specific word used by their parents for the throwover you place on the chesterfield. I asked my parents and they said they forgot. The writers I was talking with said that they knew of this word too but also forgot.

Perhaps someone here knows. What is that word? I have to assume that this word was used in the first half of the 20th century.


afghan. See Afghan, (blanket) Wikipedia:

An afghan is the knitted or crocheted wrap that everyone has seen thrown over the back of a rocking chair or folded at the foot of Grandmother's bed. Afghans are often given as gifts and may become family heirlooms. Many people use an afghan as a throw on a chilly day, as a bedspread, or as decoration for the back of a chair. An afghan also makes a good three-season wrap, adding warmth without a lot of weight.

It's not just a Canadian word and it is in use today, although throw may be more common. See Throws for a Chesterfield Sofa. I have never heard the term throwover. (Native speaker of American English, mostly BosWash corridor.)

The word afghan, referring to a person of Afghanistan, dates to 1831, but the first use of the word to mean the woven blanket was in 1877. I speculate that the word for the blanket fell out of favor with the increasing politicization of the situation in Afghanistan in the late 1970s, but I have not researched this point.

  • I know of the word "afghan" but that doesn't seem to be the word that was used. Jul 1 '17 at 15:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.