I'm trying to come up with two different words to describe:

  • a group of students attending an online course;
  • a group of students attending an in-person course.

Is it possible to use something like: "online class" and "in-person class"?

  • Perhaps dropping the "in-person" part and letting them remain as "online class" and "class" carries the distinction across. – christopher m. Jun 30 '17 at 19:11
  • The company I work for uses on-site and on-line to differentiate between the two types of seminars they offer customers. – Roger Sinasohn Jun 30 '17 at 19:24
  • How about seminar and webinar? – Dhruv Saxena Jun 30 '17 at 19:27
  • Your title asks about terms for the classes themselves, your question asks about the group of students taking those classes. Which is it? – Jim Jun 30 '17 at 21:14
  • There are online, hybrid, and face-to-face (or traditional) classes. – Jim Jun 30 '17 at 21:17

You could use classroom-based course and web-based course to make the distinction. See this company's website which lists these two types side-by-side.

The two groups of students could then be described as the classroom-based class and web-based class.


I usually distinguish them as class and e-class. E being electronic which shows it was taken via a means other than physically present in the classroom.


In e-commerce parlance, they have 'e-stores' and 'brick-and-mortar stores'. You could come up with just such a creative way to distinguish between e-classes and regular classes. But 'in-person classes' does fairly describe and look distinct from 'e-classes', so yes, you could go with that. A Google search shows that it's been used quite widely.

protected by tchrist Jul 3 '17 at 12:32

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.