I want to write the following sentence:

The "major chunk of payments" under the conditional cash transfer scheme will be made when the child enters high school.

Since this is for an academic essay, I need to replace "major chunk of payments" with something more formal.

Some background: This scheme gives cash transfers at different stages of schooling,but the major payment is made on entering high school.

  • Major portion replaces replace major chunk. Jun 29, 2017 at 14:39
  • How big is a major chunk? 10%? 90%? Jun 29, 2017 at 17:24
  • @CanisLupus Approx 90%. Should I just write it in terms of percentage only?
    – wdihtwtd26
    Jun 29, 2017 at 19:34
  • 1
    That would be a very concise way to say it. Jun 29, 2017 at 19:36
  • Concise works here:) It's an economics paper, so it won't look out of place. Thanks! But in general though, what could be a good substitute for this word in academic writing?
    – wdihtwtd26
    Jun 29, 2017 at 19:38

2 Answers 2


Lion's share /noun

  1. the largest part or share, especially a disproportionate portion.

Source: Dictionary.com


If it's more than 50%, you can simply refer to it as "the majority"...

a number or percentage equaling more than half of a total
from m-w.com

To distinguish the amount of money paid from the number of payments made, you might want to call it the "payout" as opposed to the "payments":

The majority of the payout is made when the child enters high school.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.