Simplified Technical English was originally developed for use in aviation maintenance manuals, but has expanded beyond this use into a variety of technical fields. It is a "separate" controlled language consisting of a highly restricted subset of simple English words. Are these words are derived from American English, British English, both, or neither?

  • Is this the same as Simplified Technical English? A quick look at their dictionary should tell you whether they use, for example, color or colour. Since it's standardized by a European organization, I'll guess it's colour.
    – The Photon
    Jun 29, 2017 at 5:16
  • Whoops, that's what I meant. Edited to fix.
    – Matt
    Jun 29, 2017 at 5:17
  • Looking around, it seems an American industry association was also involved. The late 1970s and 1980s. With English the language of aviation, both commercial and military aircraft needed maintenance manuals that could be unambiguously understood throughout Western Europe. I bet Eastern Europe used them too. Could be an interesting bit of history.
    – Xanne
    Jun 29, 2017 at 8:20

1 Answer 1


This is explained in ASD-STE 100 (issue 7, January 2017):

STE approved meanings are based on American English (Merriam-Webster's dictionary).

Rule 1.14:

Use American English spelling.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.