Stewart paid a security deposit for his apartment rental. The deposit needs to be for three months of rent. In the first year, he paid $1000 a month, so his deposit was $3000.

In his third year, the rent had been raised to $1,200 a month, and the landlord realized that the deposit was not sufficient, as there is a gap of $600 between 3 months of rent and the deposit he currently has.

Now he needs to collect another $600 from Stewart.

What is the correct word for this action of closing the gap betweent he two amounts? I need a term as technical as possible.

Example sentence, but you can be flexible.

The landlord decided to ____________ the deposit.

  • 2
    If he raises the rent, doesn't he also raise the deposit? Jun 28 '17 at 13:16
  • We need more context. Did the landlord supplement the deposit? Did he catch up or top off the deposit by charging an addtional $50 per month for one year? Who brought it up to its required amount? How was this done?
    – Davo
    Jun 28 '17 at 13:44
  • The technical term is tweak. Technical, but informal. Jun 28 '17 at 14:41
  • "re-calibrate" would also be a very technical way of making such type of adjustment --- I don't think it would apply to a rental deposit though.
    – Tom22
    Jun 28 '17 at 15:10
  • 2
    Informally, the landlord decided he needed to up the deposit.
    – Jim
    Aug 28 '17 at 1:59

I can think of a couple of terms, but each would have the renter, not the landlord as the agent.


  1. Top-up

This is mostly British usage. From the OED

Noun, British

And additional or extra amount or payment that restores something to the level that is required.

“They will miss out on hundreds of pounds worth of pension top-ups”

  1. True-up

Informal, this is from the urban dictionary, not an actual dictionary.

To correct any skewed perception or actuality

Uses: true-up, truing-up, trued-up, true up, truing up, trued up A large company buys X number licenses of software program for use by the employees. As the company grows the software program gets copied and used, therefore cheating the software makers out of money. Yearly, the company needs to "true-up" the copies being used and pay the software makers for what they are actually using.

This term is more commonly used by car and bicycle mechanics, but it can be used for money too.

Ps: I don’t know this for sure, but my guess is that this informal use (in quotes) in the context of money comes from the actual use of the term “true up” in accounting, with the meaning “to make an entry to reconcile a calculation”.

Since you need the landlord to be the one making the decision, could you perhaps frame your sentence as “The landlord decided to make him top up the deposit.”?


"The landlord decided to revise the security deposit fee."

  • At SE we're looking for answers that provide some explanation and context. Don't just give a one-line answer; explain why your answer is right, ideally with citations. Answers that don't include explanations may be removed.
    – David
    Jun 28 '17 at 12:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.