When a landlord rents a property, he can insure himself in one of two ways:

  • Security Deposit - an item or amount of money that is in the possession of the landlord and can be used to cover damages or failure to pay rent
  • Guarantor - a person or body that accepts the responsibility to pay if the tenant is not able

What word can be used to group these terms together?

I am trying to find a good name for a tab in which the user can define whether the Contract uses one (or both) of these methods.

So far I have financial protection. Any other suggestions?

  • Can they be referred to as securities? Jun 27 '17 at 10:03
  • like indemnity?
    – peerless
    Jun 27 '17 at 10:04
  • @SteveLovell - im afraid "securities" has a different implication: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_(finance)
    – DAE
    Jun 27 '17 at 10:05
  • @peerless - good word, but seems to only reflect the "guarantor" option
    – DAE
    Jun 27 '17 at 10:06
  • That was my concern about securities. There is a more general sense in the dictionary, but it would be easy to create confusion by using it. Jun 27 '17 at 10:18

These are both sureties:

  1. security against loss or damage or for the fulfillment of an obligation, the payment of a debt, etc.; a pledge, guaranty, or bond.
  2. a person who has made himself or herself responsible for another, as a sponsor, godparent, or bondsman. - Dictionary.com
  • thanks! Do you have any familiarity with the professional world and if this is commonly used?
    – DAE
    Jun 29 '17 at 8:34
  • No, I looked up assurances for you. Jun 29 '17 at 12:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.