"Readout" is often used as a noun in a context of computers and electronics. For example one can say "the readout of the image sensor is processed by the accompanying noise reduction unit."

I would like to know if I can use "readout" as a transitive word, for example, "The image sensor is readout and the output is processed by the accompanying noise reduction unit." I know some people use "readout" as a verb, but I think it is not grammatically correct.

  • 3
    read out......
    – Drew
    Jun 27, 2017 at 4:37
  • it means read aloud, isn't it? Jun 27, 2017 at 13:28
  • No, it means read - or perhaps read from one place, putting the result ("out") somewhere else. Similar to print out, which produces a printout. Not sure how common this usage is - probably not very.
    – Drew
    Jun 27, 2017 at 13:54
  • So, do you use not "readout" or "read-out" but "read out" when you use it as a verb? Jun 27, 2017 at 15:28
  • Correct - that's what I would do. Think set up (verb) versus setup (noun).
    – Drew
    Jun 27, 2017 at 16:28

1 Answer 1


You should use "readout" and "read-out" as nouns.

"Read out" is a special verb because it is used to indicate a connection to "readout." You should conjugate this as if it were "to read" with "out" attached at the end, e.g. "reads out."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.