What do you call those thin metal pieces that fold to fasten the cardboard back on a picture frame?




Thin metal tabs used to hold the mat, mount board and/or glazing inside of wood picture frames. Some points are stiff while others are flexible to allow access into the frame.


  • 2
    For the simplest fixings at the edge of a frame. brads and gimp pins are small, headless nails; sprigs are blue steel, often triangular. – Hugh Jun 23 '17 at 9:44
  • Happy to give this a +1: the OP wasn't clear about whether he wanted generic terms or industry jargon. – Andrew Leach Jun 23 '17 at 11:46

If you're asking about something like this:

enter image description here

then they are clips. This image is from a page advertising "Wood picture frame spring clips" from webpictureframes.com.

Other designs are available, including those which fit into a slot in the frame. This type isn't very adjustable for different thicknesses of cardboard but they are still clips (as are the hanging clips also shown here):

enter image description here

(Image from dataliteframes.co.uk)

  • Happy to do the same on this answer. Between us we nailed it. – Xanne Jun 23 '17 at 18:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.