After searching in dictionaries, I have found that the phrasal verb 'deal with' is informal and its formal equivalent can be, among others, 'to handle'. However, when I searched for the verb 'to treat', I did not find any reference saying that the verb is informal (in Oxford Thesaurus of English, Pocket Oxford American Dictionary, and Chambers Universal Learners' Dictionary...they all consider it formal/neutral).

though I think it would be very informal to say in academic writing (as am writing an academic disssertation) 'to treat the situation' instead of 'to handle/or to manage the situation'. I think it is informal to be used academically. What do you think?


I think that saying to treat the situation is not idiomatic; it isn't something a native speaker would say. To handle the situation sounds much better. To deal with and to manage the situation are also fine.

Now that I have thought about it again, I feel that there is a subtle difference between handling a situation/dealing with a situation and managing a situation. Handling/dealing with a situation give more of a sense of fixing the situation while managing a situation sounds like you are just trying to make sure it doesn't get any worse.

Also I don't agree that to deal with is more informal than to handle. You can use both interchangeably.

  • "treat" also carries with it a suggestion of treating an injury or illness – Xanne Jun 20 '17 at 20:52

The sentences

    To treat the situation with care.

    To handle the situation carefully.

    To deal with the situation adroitly.

are all valid. I wouldn't consider one to be less suitable in an academic paper than the others.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.