Please refer to the red arrows in the image on the left. This road is an expressway/highway, but somehow people can come up (using a staircase) and walk in this area, although I've almost never seen anyone doing that (I was here to shoot this photo).

Is there any particular name for the area like this (walking area beside a highway)?

megapolis city with highway in the foreground A highway/main road with concrete barrier separating it from the pedestrian lane

  • The image is not the best, I can't see anything because it's too dark, it almost looks like a drop. Can you find a better shot, in daylight, please?
    – Mari-Lou A
    Jun 20, 2017 at 7:25
  • @mari-lou-a, thanks for your response, I've found the below image from the same area on Google, encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/…
    – Joey
    Jun 20, 2017 at 7:42
  • Pedestrian lane.
    – Phil Sweet
    Jun 20, 2017 at 9:48

4 Answers 4


The few places I've seen this without it also being a cycle path would probably be called a footpath (the same word being used for a muddy path though a field and many other paths). This is in the UK, where the term footway is also sometimes used in official material. If cyclists also have access then cycle path/track is in common use though shared use path is more correct and official.

Logically (e.g. on maps) it's treated as a path running parallel to the road, in contrast to a pavement/sidewalk which is a part of the road.

  • Thank you @chris-h for the info! I probably like to call it footpath, as it's not possible for bikes to come here (due to staircase at the entry).
    – Joey
    Jun 20, 2017 at 7:40
  • 2
    Footpath would not be used in American English, FYI. Jun 20, 2017 at 16:06

This image shows a similar structure from the Humber Bridge in the UK. The Wikipedia page from where it came refers to this as a Walkway.

umber Bridge walkway

Picture credit: By J Rowson (Own work) CC BY-SA 4.0, via Wikimedia Commons

  • Walkway is the word I would use in Canadian English. Jun 27, 2017 at 2:25

If the area people can walk on is essentially the same height as or the same road surface as the area to the right of the guardrail, it's a footpath. If it is higher such that there is a curb or drop, it's a sidewalk. It may also be called a pedestrian access area.

  • 3
    Sidewalk is an American English term. The British English equivalent is "pavement" (Paving slabs are commonly used alongside normal urban roads in the UK).
    – JerryTheC
    Jun 20, 2017 at 15:02

Traverse [trav-ers, truh-vurs] /noun

  1. a place where one may traverse or cross; crossing.

Source: Dictionary.com

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.