I'm looking for a word to describe the sound of a television in the background that the character has tuned out. The sentence I'm trying to put it in is "The television [Insert word here] in the background as..."

  • 2
    Perhaps murmur? Jun 18 '17 at 19:37
  • Or chattering (or nattering).
    – Dan Bron
    Jun 18 '17 at 20:01

White noise

Although technically 'noise containing many frequencies with equal intensities,' it can also mean:

  1. A constant background noise; especially : one that drowns out other sounds
  2. Meaningless or distracting commotion, hubbub, or chatter

Merriam Webster

Either of which could suit your case, e.g.:

The television's white noise in the background was..."

  • This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!
    – R. R
    Jun 18 '17 at 21:22
  • @R.R happy to help! Jun 18 '17 at 21:35
  • There is a serious flaw somewhere. This isn't the verb OP requests, but is the answer they seek. Jun 18 '17 at 21:43
  • 1
    "The television white noised in the background as..."?
    – Gnawme
    Jun 18 '17 at 22:14
  • I changed the sentence to fix it up as I couldn't find a verb that conveyed the intended meaning. I apologize for that. I'll edit the original post so it makes more sense
    – R. R
    Jun 19 '17 at 15:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.