I came across one word that is "gas-bag." Are there any other specific (not slang) words?

  • 1
    Voting to close as general reference--Googling this finds the "official" word of "flatulent".
    – user10893
    Commented Aug 26, 2011 at 9:41
  • Close it . I am fine with it
    – Abid
    Commented Aug 26, 2011 at 10:42
  • 1
    I'm not adding anything here...but I call that person a demolition expert because they're "blowing it up" all the time...
    – Tim Reddy
    Commented Sep 9, 2013 at 18:21
  • 1
    What about a fartalot?
    – Bentley4
    Commented Dec 3, 2013 at 14:08
  • There was a Frenchman who performed (naked) with his comically egregious emissions. He had names for each variation on the theme, and he drew great crowds of men (no women allowed). His stage name was "Le Petomaine" (not sure of the spelling). I suppose you could Google his stage name and find the name of the book which included the story of Le Petomaine. I have a feeling it was in a Peter Laurence book, if memory serves. Commented Jan 1, 2014 at 13:45

8 Answers 8


Further to Thusagen's answer, the single word would be flatulent.


This person, in medicine, would have been called, "someone suffering from excessive flatulence"


The French performer Le Pétomane, was a professional flatulist, who was known by several terms:

From Wikipedia (linked above):

Le Pétomane (/ləˈpɛtəmeɪn/, French pronunciation: ​[ləpetɔˈman]) was the stage name of the French flatulist (professional farter) and entertainer Joseph Pujol (June 1, 1857 – 1945). He was famous for his remarkable control of the abdominal muscles, which enabled him to seemingly fart at will. His stage name combines the French verb péter, "to fart" with the -mane, "-maniac" suffix, which translates to "fartomaniac". The profession is also referred to as "flatulist", "farteur", or "fartiste".1


I personally call such a person a fart-machine. ;)

But the correct term is flatulent.


I'd call them a fart-arse, a term which has expanded to include a number of other meanings:-

fart-arse (plural fart-arses)

(UK, slang, derogatory) A generic term of insult.


fart-arse (third-person singular simple present fart-arses, present participle fart-arsing, simple past and past participle fart-arsed)

(UK, slang) To waste time or opportunities; to dawdle.


Not sure how spread it is but I've heard the term "sir farts-a-lot". Although, the correct and polite way is "flatulent".


In Show Bussiness is called the Fart-Maker.


Smelly. Common nickname for a person who farts a lot.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.