I got a card and there's a symbol which precedes "James". Something like "from" or "love". Does anyone know what this symbol is?

what is this symbol called

pic 2

  • 1
    It looks like an ampersand to me (&). – Peter Shor Jun 16 '17 at 11:03
  • 1
    I have seen many tries at the &-sign, but this one is... original. – oerkelens Jun 16 '17 at 11:05
  • 2
    @oerkelens: and now that I can see the whole message, there appears to be another (slightly less original) &-sign later in the message that looks nothing like the first symbol. It's difficult to imagine that they're two different attempts at the &-sign by the same person. – Peter Shor Jun 16 '17 at 11:12
  • 3
    Maybe it's a heart? – Jake Sylvestre Jun 16 '17 at 11:14
  • 2
    I could see those strokes making a heart if the card hadn't slipped. – Davo Jun 16 '17 at 11:47

I think it's a stylised "fr", standing for "from", a common term used when signing a card.

The initial upstroke, downstroke and curve form a cursive lower-case 'f', and the remaining piece that looks like a '7' forms a cursive 'r'.

  • It's certainly possible. Especially if you look at the r in your. – Jake Sylvestre Jun 17 '17 at 19:23

It's a heart. She is signing their names but instead of writing "Love," for the closing, she drew a heart.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.