What would you call a place where several boats are kept on a river? "Harbor" sounds wrong to me, as I associate it with the sea.

Here is an example of such a place in Brazil, from this Google Street View photo sphere:

  • I would call it a "landing area"--from the photo both "harbor" and "port" imply facilities or construction that doesn't appear to be there. @Tor, could you fix the spelling in the title, please? And capitalize Google (Google Earth?) More informally "take-out" may be a description of the area. – Xanne Jun 15 '17 at 3:12
  • Is it a marina or a dock? – Yosef Baskin Jun 15 '17 at 3:33
  • looks like a mooring or moorage (or landing area or port). contra @Xanne, I don't think "port" implies deluxe facilities. "harbor" is wrong since a harbor implies a bay or sheltered area for water craft – Colin Jun 15 '17 at 3:37
  • It's a bend in the river with a sandy area--what in river rafting or canoeing is called a take-out area. – Xanne Jun 15 '17 at 3:52

I'd describe this as a moorage.

A place where a ship or aircraft may be moored

Other options would be mooring

a place for mooring a vessel

(boat) landing (area) (as suggested by @Xanne)


port, which can refer to the part of town where boats are moored.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.