What would you call a place where several boats are kept on a river? "Harbor" sounds wrong to me, as I associate it with the sea.

Here is an example of such a place in Brazil, from this Google Street View photo sphere:

  • I would call it a "landing area"--from the photo both "harbor" and "port" imply facilities or construction that doesn't appear to be there. @Tor, could you fix the spelling in the title, please? And capitalize Google (Google Earth?) More informally "take-out" may be a description of the area.
    – Xanne
    Commented Jun 15, 2017 at 3:12
  • Is it a marina or a dock? Commented Jun 15, 2017 at 3:33
  • looks like a mooring or moorage (or landing area or port). contra @Xanne, I don't think "port" implies deluxe facilities. "harbor" is wrong since a harbor implies a bay or sheltered area for water craft
    – Colin
    Commented Jun 15, 2017 at 3:37
  • It's a bend in the river with a sandy area--what in river rafting or canoeing is called a take-out area.
    – Xanne
    Commented Jun 15, 2017 at 3:52

2 Answers 2


I'd describe this as a moorage.

A place where a ship or aircraft may be moored

Other options would be mooring

a place for mooring a vessel

(boat) landing (area) (as suggested by @Xanne)


port, which can refer to the part of town where boats are moored.


Riverport or An inland port is a port on an inland waterway, such as a river, lake, or canal, which may or may not be connected to the sea.

  • Your answer could be improved with additional supporting information. Please edit to add further details, such as citations or documentation, so that others can confirm that your answer is correct. You can find more information on how to write good answers in the help center.
    – Community Bot
    Commented Dec 3, 2021 at 1:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.