I wonder what the "sprocket" in this image is called, since I cannot find anything like it when I searching for sprocket in an online shop like www.grainger.com or globalindustrial.com.

Is there a specific definition for it?

Sprocket wheel

  • General English doesn't have specific terms for specialized kinds of gears. You'd have to ask on a relevant engineering forum. – Dan Bron Jun 14 '17 at 11:00
  • 1
    As @DanBron suggests, try e.g. our sister site, bicycles.stackexchange.com – MikeRoger Jun 14 '17 at 11:02
  • 2
    By the way, the correct way to ask the question is what is it called, not how is it called. This seems to be a common mistake of non-native speakers. – Barmar Jun 14 '17 at 20:12
  • Chain sprocket or chainring. – Phil Sweet Jun 15 '17 at 19:51
  • It's a sprocket. And probably not a bicycle sprocket, as the configuration is wrong on several points. – Hot Licks Jun 15 '17 at 23:01

I am unsure if you are looking for a general term, or a description of the actual sprocket in the picture.

The one in the picture is a rear sprocket , specifically a 428 sprocket, a 48T (tooth) 4-bolt rear sprocket for a small motorcycle or moped, possibly a Honda Passport. 428 refers to the specifications of the chain required for the sprocket design.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.