It's kinda difficult to describe what I mean exactly, but I couldn't think of an example. Maybe I can add it later if I come up with one.


The art/science of naming for example these complex situations within a single word:

• (not mine) "Waited a long time to read book. Read book. Didn't like book. Life now empty." "There should be a word for that."

• The empty but also content feeling you get after finishing a story or movie because you're "life" within the story stops. There could be a word for this.

  • The closest established term I'm familiar with is toponymy. It is a scholastic discipline dedicated to the study of place names.
    – Dan Bron
    Jun 3 '17 at 13:16
    – Hot Licks
    Jun 3 '17 at 13:17
  • It sounds like you are looking for a technical term, however if you're looking for a descriptive word for the action you might describe it as 'encapsulation'
    – Tom22
    Jun 3 '17 at 21:24

If you're looking for a technical term for the practice of consolidating to a single word, this isn't it, however if you're looking to describe what you're doing, you might say it is:

Encapsulation at Oxford Living Dictionaries

2The succinct expression or depiction of the essential features of something.

‘his encapsulation of the concept’

Perhaps, you could coin a term "Encapsulative naming"

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.