I'm looking for a word that describes the sound of a sweaty foot walking along a laminated floor. Another instance of this noise being produced would be when you walk along the tile after having just come out of the pool.

  • 2
    'Squelch' is perhaps too emphatic. Perhaps 'slap'. – Edwin Ashworth Jun 2 '17 at 2:58
  • Squish, perhaps. – Xanne Jun 2 '17 at 3:29
  • Yes, I would say "slap" or "smack". – WS2 Jun 2 '17 at 7:35
  • This may require consulting comic book sound words. Perhaps "splat"? – fixer1234 Jun 5 '17 at 2:29
  • Squidge or squeak seem strong selections. – The Nate Jun 12 '17 at 6:06

I would go with squish. Slap is too strong, unless one is wearing flip-flop sandals. Squish is the sensation of standing in a muddy lake, swish is related to the air, like a skirt's swishing as a woman walks. That's too light for the foot.


The house is dark. A man enters the kitchen, still panting from his brutal workout in the garage. His sweaty feet slosh on the laminated floor as he walks with purpose toward the half-eaten birthday cake.

I think it works.

'slap' sounds good too.
Anything more is too much I think.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.