I watched a Chinese movie in which the protagonist used this weapon. Its blade part can rotate like a drill.

Square-section weapon similar to a sword

I was wondering if you know the name of this kind of weapon or how would you describe its appearance? I tried:

It’s a skinny mace with connected stone cubes for its blade part and a sharp cone on top.

But I think my description will likely cause confusion. I would appreciate it if you could help me out.

  • 2
    This doesn't look like an actual weapon to me, just something invented for visual effect by the props designer. Fantasy and pseudo-historical movies rarely use plausible weapons--they just don't look exciting enough. May 31, 2017 at 0:14
  • 1
    I would describe it first and foremost as a "sword" because it looks like a sword. It has a guard, a scabbard, a "blade", a grip, and a pommel. A mace typically doesn't have all those features. "A sword with a blade of connected stone cubes that spin as a drill would"
    – Samuel
    May 31, 2017 at 0:16
  • 1
    A capped baton of 19 rectangular cuboids with a square hand guard, wrapped pommel and matching scabbard. May 31, 2017 at 0:16
  • You might want to do a Google search on the name of the movie and sword or mace. May 31, 2017 at 0:18

1 Answer 1


I got a couple of hits with "kang long mace":

The pagoda whip, mace, sword, Longquan KANGLONG pattern steel, fine sword, sword

The pagoda whip KANGLONG mace cold weapon pattern steel Tang sword Longquan sword not of edge (custom)

[Military typhoon] movie Babel Empire Detective / Di Renjie selected hand Kang Long mace (hand pattern steel) ancient weapons / collection ~ free shipping ~

Unfortunately, I can barely handle English, so you're on your own for translations. (Or you could ask the Google.)

Beyond that, perhaps a martial arts SE might be of more help?


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.