For example when someone exclaims, "What the heck are you talking about", if you were mildly incorrect on any matter or simply stating something in a general dialogue. Typically the person will assert things like, "Obviously", "Of course", or "Everyone knows that" – these being obnoxious and vociferous rhetorical exclamations can also often be followed by a quick and faint, "Come on". The previous said quotes being said on many occasions in simple mindful discourses rather than arguments or disputes.

So exactly what is an alternative name or synonym that you can label a person who is rhetorically bombastic?

The labels that are convenient and fitting for this request currently is: browbeat, castigate, and condescending!

Edited to add information from comment:

I'm looking for a noun.

  • I'm not sure where the "rhetorically bombastic" bit figures here. Are you talking about someone who's rudely dismissive of what others say or think? Commented May 28, 2017 at 18:28
  • Not necessarily dismissive towards others' statements or thoughts, but definitely rude and can usually be equipped with some sort of a condescending yet vehement tone in their responses regardless of whether or not it's a simple conversation or a dispute. Commented May 28, 2017 at 18:53
  • Well, I'd say every italicised example in your question is primarily dismissive / condescending - but there aren't many contexts where they wouldn't inevitably be blatantly rude as well. Commented May 28, 2017 at 19:00
  • I'm just looking for some kind of specific label—preferably a noun—rather than a simple adjective for this type of person that's all. Commented May 28, 2017 at 19:35
  • Could it be browbeating?
    – WS2
    Commented May 28, 2017 at 22:34

3 Answers 3


(1) The type of speech you describe could be called bluster and a person who blusters is called a blusterer

bluster 1. Talk in a loud, aggressive, or indignant way with little effect.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/bluster https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/blusterer


(...) at least this bullying blusterer of a politician was prepared to take action (...)

[Pl. click on the 'example' button in the above linked page to read the full sentence and more instances of its use]

(2) An idiomatic expression that suits your description would be cock of the walk

cock of the walk [noun] : the leader in a group, especially one with a conceited, domineering manner.

Definition of 'cock of the walk' at Collins dictionary online

(3) You should consider adjectives as well, because the vast majority of the appropriate choices for your question are descriptive words rather than nouns, and one descriptor that fits your case well is overbearing.


1a: tending to overwhelm : overpowering

2 : harshly and haughtily arrogant

the mayor's overbearing manner of dealing with employees

Definition of overbearing at Merriam-Webster online

Moreover simply googling 'overbearing' opens up a large number and variety of terms that are close in meaning:

(...) overbearing : unpleasantly overpowering. "an overbearing, ill-tempered brute" synonyms: domineering, dominating, autocratic, tyrannical, despotic, heavy-handed, oppressive, high-handed, bullying, high and mighty, lordly, lording it, officious, masterful, dictatorial, bossy, imperious, pontifical, pompous, peremptory, arrogant, cocksure, proud, overproud, overweening, presumptuous, opinionated, dogmatic; More informal: pushy, throwing one's weight about, cocky

See Definition and synonyms of overbearing by Google

(4) In terms of a specific label, you could sarcastically call an overbearing person a despot / tyrant / dictator, where the tyranny lies in dismissing the ideas and opinions of others. I have read of such types described as a great dictator or a little dictator.

My mother-in-law is such a dictator.

Back to your desks, look right industrious and don't talk back -- the great dictator is just stepping out of his cabin!

It can be fairly trying to work with this little dictator.

In India I have heard such a person sarcastically called a Hitler (as in 'be cautious while working with so-and-so; he is a Hitler!') but I understand any reference to Hitler would be highly controversial in Europe and maybe also in the USA. Other possible labels are little king, little prince, and little lord which can be likewise deployed sarcastically to refer to the person's overbearing behavior.

He ran the office like a little king and earned the ire of his staff members.

"I been tryin' to do this job the best I can, but I got my work cut out; and the little prince with his bossy ways ain't makin' it any easier, for sure!"

"The little lord has no sense, but brooks no argument -- just talking to him gives me a headache -- this business is going to sink within the year."

You might get some more ideas by reading the comments and answers to this closely related question asked earlier at this same website:

What is a word for someone who likes bossing people around?


This person is a


a person who acts as though he or she knows everything and who dismisses the opinions, comments, or suggestions of others.



This kind of dictator is usually called a tinpot dictator to indicate the expanse of his realm.

Sounds like a plain old "Jerk" [reference needed] to me. He needs a civil tongue and some listening lessons.

Can you share with us who will get your description using this new noun?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.