My usual ____ include science fiction and philosophy.

What is a word that means "books I'm reading"? Equivalent to "parlance" as far as parlance refers to the words or types of words a person likes to use.

  • 4
    Genres, or for a list of such books, reading list. May 26, 2017 at 18:21
  • 1
    Are you looking for the specific books one is reading at the time of the question or the books one generally reads, regardless of what they might be reading at that time? That is, I generally read SF but currently I'm reading books on project management and workplace innovation (work). I think Clare is correct on both accounts -- Genres and Reading List, respectively. May 26, 2017 at 18:41
  • 8
    Have you got something against "My usual reading includes science fiction, philosophy, and romance."?
    – JEL
    May 26, 2017 at 18:43
  • Informally, you could use 'my usual reads', similar to eats for meals on the go. May 26, 2017 at 20:09
  • My bookshelf includes etc.? I've seen this done digitally. Or: My favorite reads? May 28, 2017 at 22:32

1 Answer 1


Reading -- Macmillan

noun 3. (uncountable) something that you read
This report is my bedtime reading at the moment.

And as others have mentioned, genres, reading list, reading choices, reads, etc. are all equally valid.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.