In caves whose openings are in the ceiling of the cave, there is typically a conical pile of rubble underneath the opening from where things have fallen into the hole over a long period of time. What is the name of this pile? I think it's either one or two words and may be something like 'rubble tower'.


The general term for loose rock that naturally accumulates at the bottom of a hill is scree. This isn't specific to caves, though, and doesn't suggest an accumulation directly below an opening. That said, it could be used to describe the material itself that is accumulating.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.