Is there a term for words (especially homographs or homonyms of the same word class) that differ in their inflection?

I can't think of any English examples off the top of my head.

closed as not a real question by FumbleFingers, simchona, Daniel, kiamlaluno, aedia λ Aug 24 '11 at 2:07

It's difficult to tell what is being asked here. This question is ambiguous, vague, incomplete, overly broad, or rhetorical and cannot be reasonably answered in its current form. For help clarifying this question so that it can be reopened, visit the help center. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    Another example in Spanish, esta (this) and está (it is). Interesting question +1 – Richard Aug 23 '11 at 19:31
  • 2
    For some speakers English hang works: the picture was hung, but the man was hanged. For some the noun mouse works: the plural is mice for the animal and mouses for the computer peripheral. For some appendix works: books have appendices, but people have appendixes. – Brian M. Scott Aug 23 '11 at 20:01
  • I'm sure there are a vast number of such words, as @Brian's comment suggests. I'd say worked is much the same, in that wrought rarely occurs except preceded by over or followed by iron. But it's an open-ended question which should either be community wiki or closed. I'm voting to close, because my understanding is we don't want wiki to be a general dumping ground. – FumbleFingers Aug 23 '11 at 20:45
  • 1
    ...also, homographs, homonyms, and different inflections are three radically different ways that "different" words can be related. Even adding a plural "s" to a word is an inflection, for example, and many, many words have specific meanings only with certain inflections. If I could vote to close twice, I surely would. – FumbleFingers Aug 23 '11 at 21:57
  • 1
    Isn't this a general linguistics question rather than an English one? – Karl Knechtel Aug 23 '11 at 22:12

Would this be heteronyms?

words that are written identically but have different pronunciations and meanings.


Homograph is one of two or more words that have the same spelling but differ in origin, meaning, and sometimes pronunciation, such as fair (pleasing in appearance) and fair (market) or wind (wĭnd) and wind (wīnd) or trunk (a part of elephant) and trunk (a storage chest).

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.